Sunday, February 12, 2017

A Comedy of Errors

The behemoth and monstrosity known as Orchid Thief has been defeated.

Fina-fucking-ly.

It's supposed to be about the journey, right, and not the destination?

Yeah, not this time.

I can't even say "Oh! I'm so happy that it is done!"

Because it's not happiness I feel.

It's victory and vengeance and relief.

How did a project that started out so beautifully turn into such an unending nightmare?


It started off wonderfully.

Seemed like a straightforward project. Nothing in the pattern notes about not being able to enlarge it. So, I didn't look too closely at the other user's projects. (Mistake the First).

I had a wee bit of a scare doing the last repeat, but had enough yarn and happily started the edging. I had done what I thought were 7 repeats. (Mistake the Second).



The edging wasn't lining up because apparently, you can only do exactly 4 body repeats for it to work. I decided to look at the other projects at that point to try and figure out how to salvage this thing. The only solution I had found was to do an 8th repeat... But I was out of yarn, except for what i had for the edging. So, I decided to forge ahead and figure out my own edging.

Do I really need to point out that that was Mistake the Third?


I went up to Harps and Thistles to find a suitable color to use for the 8th repeat.

I burned through it and carefully counted my stitches, using the notes from one of the other projects.

And discovered to my horror that I still needed to do another repeat.

I almost lost yarn chicken that time, but I got through and started the edging.


At this point, this thing was a giant nightmare. Literally giant.

And I had to buy yet another damn skein of yarn.

This conversation I had with Mikayla pretty much sums up how I felt about the whole damn thing at this point.



Yarn purchased, I forged ahead.

I wasn't overly happy with how the last two rows of the pattern, so I made a simple change. Take note of this and remember it for later.

As soon as I finished, I decided to count the number of stitches on my needles.

I nearly shat myself when I came up with 787. But whatever! It was done except the bind off!

Two and a half hours later, it was done. And it was beautiful and huge and I loved it.


That's blocking on our queen size bed.

After wrangling that, I decided that I needed a nice relaxing shower, seeing as I was going to have 16 bloody ends to weave in later.

You know how you start really thinking about things when you have a chance to take a breather?

Yeah.

In my shower, feeling perfectly content with the world, I realized, much to my horror, that it was entirely my fault that I had nearly 200 more stitches than I should have.

How does one fuck up that bad?

Well, I had added some increases in every repeat when I changed the last two rows... Annnnnddddd promptly forgot to balance them out with decreases.

One last stab in the heart, eh, Orchid Thief?

But as soon as I settled her on my shoulders, I fell in love.

So here she is, in all her glory.


She's everything I could have hoped for.


 1300 yards of sport weight yarn went into this shawl.


And while she's not the widest shawl I've ever made.


She is the longest.


And, despite the struggle to get here, I am thrilled with Orchid Thief and so happy to add her to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment