Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Glams and Games

I FINALLY am feeling up to chronicling the past couple of weeks, because, jesums, they've been a doozy.

Note to self: multiple people-heavy events two weekends in a row are going to completely drain all your spell slots.

Rather than trying to cram it all in at one time, I'll be kind enough to break it into a couple of posts.

First off, we need to go clear back to the weekend of the 16th. I know, I know, it's hard. You can't even remember what you had for dinner last night, but I believe in you!

Anyway, that weekend John and I had planned on going to Origins Game Fair in Columbus. It's become an annual tradition. And every year we swear that we're going to go for a few days, and it always turns into, "we're broke AF, guess it's just Saturday."

Enter my mom and her boyfriend. He had enough points built up in some reward system that he asked us if we wanted a free hotel room for the night. It was a belated anniversary present.

Uhh, yes please and thank you.

So John and I decided to go down to Columbus whenever we liked on Friday and then spend all day Saturday at Origins. We were hoping to go to the Pride festival and do some swimming. I also wanted to hit up Yarn It & Haberdashery.

But of course, this is us we're talking about. Nothing ever goes to plan.

First, we ended up leaving suuuppppper late, as per usual. We had to take Al to my mom's and then run a couple of small errands (like getting new swim trunks for the Supreme Butt Face).

We FINALLY started heading to Columbus in the early afternoon. We were supposed to arrive around 4, right when check-in would be. Perfect, right? We'd swim for a bit, get some food, meet Kayla at Pride... Sounds like a great friggin day.

Well, of course that's not what happened. There ended up being an accident RIGHT ON THE DAMNED EXIT WE NEEDED! Add in rush hour traffic on a Friday. We weren't going anywhere. And... we both had to use the bathroom.

We ended up getting off at the first exit we could find, looking desperately for somewhere we could use the bathroom and kill some time. Ended up stopping at a ToysRUs and proceeded to utterly destroy the restroom my god it had been hours and it was terrible *ahem* take care of business.

I felt bad about just using the bathroom and leaving, so I bought a friend.

This is Rupert.



I also bought some stuff so John and I could have an epic party in the hotel later.


Yes, I'm an adult, why do you ask?

We didn't end up getting to the hotel until 7:30, turning a quick 2 hour drive into a nearly 5 hour long purgatory. It really just shows the strength of John and I's marriage that we weren't at each other's throats by then.

So we decided to skip Pride, and just focus on swimming and relaxing in the room.

We knew we were getting a suite, but we certainly weren't expecting this level of swank.






Like, the bathroom was bigger than our bedroom at home. Mind. Blown.

I honestly felt a little guilty that we'd only be here for such a short amount of time.

We decided to head straight for the pool, only to discover much to our horror, there was a youth baseball team also staying in the hotel. And they were currently attempting to break out all the windows with their screaming in the pool.

Holy fucking nightmares, Batman.

We turned right back around and headed to the room.

At 9:30, we decided to go check again and lo, just a single family! We could deal with that.

So, we got to swim for 5 minutes before a dozen screeching demons all came flying into the room and dove right in, with no thought or care of any of the little ones in the pool.

They were screaming so loudly my ears were literally ringing. John and I were SCREAMING to try and talk to one another, but to no avail. We had to resort to hand gestures.

Needless to say, we left, throwing many a dirty look at the parents who were ignoring the steaming piles of human excrement that they referred to as their "children."

Yes, the parents were there and not doing a damn thing.

*sigh*

That's a rant for another day.

Anyway, we both hopped in the massive shower to clean the chlorine off and relax for a bit. I mean, there was a seat in there. I wanted to just spend the night in the shower, but John's a killjoy and wouldn't let me.

Dinner was the next goal and having such a fancy kitchen to work with, I felt like I had to cook something, but John argued that we were on vacation and I should get a break. So we compromised and made an easy-peasy dinner of sandwiches and trifles.


And yes, we poured our non-alcoholic beverages into the fancy wine glasses.


Look at that sweet layering action right there.

We busted out all the party stuff, too.



It was lit AF, yo.

We went to bed rather early (I think it was before 1?) and slept peacefully through the night...

Or not. Because I'm someone with IBS and anxiety. I got treated to a *lovely* panic attack at 4am. Not one of the super bad ones, but still pretty bad. Add in that I woke up in a pool of sweat from being overheated, and yeah, it was a rough night.

I told John to wake me back up at 7:30 because I really wanted to try for a morning swim while he had breakfast.

Well, he didn't.

Instead, he let me sleep until 9am, and then I got treated to another panic attack because "ohmygodIonlyhavetwohourstogetreadyandIknowI'mgoingtobestuckinthebathroomforawhileandyoustillwanttoeatandohmygoddddddddd"

He ended up going down for breakfast while I got ready to go. We managed to check out just a couple minutes past 11, after unsuccessfully trying to stuff the dishwasher in the suitcase.

Side note: I was proud of my super fast, crappy lighting makeup.


And yes, I made the necklace myself just for Pride.


Made one for Kayla, too!


Not bad for just using supplies I had on hand.

We'd already decided to go to Yarn It before Origins because they were having their 3rd anniversary sale. It wasn't far from the hotel, so off we went.


I got treated to an amazing gift bag with all sorts of goodies inside just for walking in the door.






And I decided on some FaerieGrl yarn as my souvenir skein. It's this gorgeous grey with an uber soft rainbow dyed into it.



Totes in love with it.

By the time we made it Origins, the Columbus Pride Parade was in full swing. We managed to find a break and run across the street to get to the convention center. But not before I stopped and grabbed a quick pic.


I wish I could have gotten a better one showing off the mass of people that were heading up the street. It was overwhelming and inspiring.

We finally, finally, FINALLY made it into Origins and John was a happy camper.

We took a pic with our favorite Boss Monster mascot.


I bought a crown.


Took a pic with a cutie.


And walked around the entire convention working on June's shawl.


AND I DIDN'T BREAK MY NEEDLES THIS YEAR!!!

I even managed to find a sheep.


This was just my swag from the convention.


Since this is so long, I won't go into any detail about what I got. But if you have questions, I'll answer in the comments.

We left finally left Columbus around 7 and headed home. The drive back was mostly uneventful (aside from nearly running out of gas and having to stop once just to wash bugs off the windshield...).

When we walked in the door, we were promptly ran over by the various fur babies who must have missed us terribly.

I mean, I wasn't even allowed to pee without a few of them pushing open the door and trying to get affection.

I'll spare you the pic and just leave you with this one instead.


All in all, it was a fun, if exhausting weekend. And I'm already looking forward to next year. I might be recovered by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment