Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Vote for Bees!

It's never a good thing when I discover a new craft. I tend to throw myself (and a whole lot of money) into it. It's especially not good when you're trying to get hella lot of knitting done by a deadline. But I had been interested in finding something to do with my hands when I can't knit (thanks, shoulder!), but they're still itchy to do something. 

Well, I found something.

Enter zen tangles.

I started with this book and a pack of prismacolor fine pens.


With this particular book, you are given animal outlines with a grid-like pattern overlaying it. You fill in the grid with all sorts of little doodles, patterns, and drawings. 

It's easy to just zone out and draw. I quickly finished my first project and decided to give it to Al.


I've become addicted and now have a whole case full of pens in all sorts of colors.


You can see here that I've already started on my next one. The body and head will all be one pattern, while the horns will be another.

I've also been avoiding my knitting responsibilities by reading. I've got four I'm working on at the moment.


I'm currently working on The Devious Dr. Jekyll by Viola Carr, The Thirteenth House by Sharon Shinn (one of my absolute favorite series!), and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I haven't actually started A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan yet, but it looks amazing.

And speaking of books, John's decided to read a book every month this year. He's then going to write his thoughts up and post them to Tumblr. His first book was Sacred Cows by Seth Andrews. If you'd like you can check out his write up HERE!

Lest you think me completely out of love with my knitting, I did manage a trip up to Harps and Thistles on Tuesday of last week to see my love, Sarah. My darling Vi accompanied me and hung out a while with us. 

I was very good and didn't buy much.

Only a couple of skeins of Rios. 

Just two.


Of each color.


What?

I also started on Vi's TARDIS shawl. I intended to do Bigger on the Inside, but I didn't relish the thought of picking up 300+ stitches. I also am a huge fan of triangular shaped shawls, so I decided to improvise.

For the main body of the shawl, I wanted something lacy, but easy to memorize. I needed something that's easy to take with me. So I decided to use the body section of Easy as Pie.

I'll be using the TARDIS chart from Bigger on the Inside, then, for the bottom edge of the shawl.


I've got a decent start on it. The plan is to have it done in two weeks. I have high hopes because it really is easy knitting.


I haven't really gotten much further on Caitlin's shawl. I was seduced by the Dream Smooshy.

That and I'm just not happy with how it's coming out. I may frog it and just improvise a pattern again.

I know that there's an alternate chart for Bigger on the Inside with Daleks instead. Mayhaps that?

This past Saturday, John and I also got to do something we've been looking forward to for quite a while. We had dinner with Sarah and Chris.

Do I really need to tell you how much fun we had?

I'm pretty sure that John has a bro-crush on Chris.

We're already planning on having them down here sometime.

I know I cemented our friendship (as well as Cindy's) by bringing an offering of peanut butter cream pie.

So, do you guys remember this picture?


It's currently entered in a contest hosted by Harps & Thistles. If my picture wins, it will be used as the inspiration for the next Three Irish Girls colorway. Plus, I get free yarn and naming rights.

I'm also wanting to set something up where a donation would be made to the local Bee Keeper's Association.

Helping bees, getting me yarn.... it's a heap of good!

I would really appreciate it if you could take a moment and give me a vote. The contest ends tomorrow, February 3rd. So please vote soon!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Now, back to mindless knitting and endless enjoyment of Jane Austen-esque films.

Holy hell, I've turned into a monster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment