Thursday, August 4, 2016

How to Say Thanks

I am not the best at expressing my appreciation for people in person. I always end up feeling awkward about it. I don't want to make them feel embarrassed or put them in an uncomfortable position.

It doesn't help that I have a habit of fumbling over my words and not properly conveying my gratitude. When I speak, I try to say ALL OF THE WORDS and end up turning into a complete, bumbling mess. 

My family is also not one for open affection. Sure, we'll hug goodbye occasionally, but there are no open declarations of love or cards given with long, meaningful notes in them. We seem to be a family with a love language of doing. 

This is definitely the case with my grandparents. Helping out with home repairs, giving advice on how best to complete various projects, putting the time in to help research before making a large purchase or investment, slipping you a bit of spending money... 

The amount of stuff they both do for me and my family is tremendous. But today, I really want to talk about my grandma.

My grandma has worked for our school district for nearly 40 years, almost completely behind the scenes. She does the work of a dozen people. She genuinely cares that the kids get the help that they need.

She's also an amazing crafter. Growing up, she taught me the foundations that turned me into the creative force I am today. And I still turn to her for help and advice when I get over my head. Which, let's be honest, is quite often.

She has been my rock. No matter how chaotic or  upsetting my world has become, I know that she is just a phone call away. If I need advice. If I need help. If I just need someone to talk to, she is there.

She does her best to understand my depression and anxiety. That in itself is a huge comfort. Knowing that at least one family member will understand why I needed to go walk away from the group for a while. Or why I have to have John beside me most of the time at family functions. She gets it. And she never really pushes me more than she needs to.

She has bailed us out so many times. I've lost count by this point. We would be utterly lost without her.

It hits me often just how much I owe to her. If I had an infinite amount of time and words, I still wouldn't be able to properly explain to you just how much she has done for us and just how grateful we are.

And I always feel overwhelmed trying to think of some way to pay her back. But knowing her, that's not what she wants at all. She just wants to make sure that we're doing okay.

Nevertheless, thank you grandma, truly, deeply, from the bottom of my heart. I am so thankful and so damn lucky to have someone as amazing you for a grandma. Thank you for everything you've done for us.

I promise to try and live my life with the same sense of care and generosity that you lead yours with.


No comments:

Post a Comment