Friday, October 14, 2016

Confessions and Commitment

So, remember when I said that I wasn't going to be knitting very many Christmas presents? Yeah, the post right before this. I said that I wasn't going to stress myself out and try to get a bunch of stuff done. That I was going to concentrate on ME and make all the fall weather stuff I could.

My very first project that I finished after that post was a pair of socks that I intend to give as a Christmas present.


To be fair, I had started the grey one right after I finished my first pair of socks. And I needed a purse project since I finished Brass and Steam, so I tossed it in.


It wasn't my fault that I had a bunch of downtime and finished it super quickly.


And yes, this is a matching pair. The recipient isn't a fan of matching socks, so I obliged. Both are Kroy Sock Yarn, this one the Jacquard Slate. The other is the FX line in Celestial Colors.


And actually, it was fun not having to knit two of the same socks. It only took me two days to finish up this one.

Now, lest you think that I am neglecting my fall projects, I have once again challenged myself to the impossible and knit something really bloody big in a very short amount of time.

I finally cast on my Autumn Lace Shrug late Sunday night. (Pattern is Speckled Shrug on Ravelry.)

Most of Sunday afternoon was spent swatching, charting out various lace and cable patterns, debating about whether or not I wanted to just do an all over pattern or have a panel in the middle, and winding yarn.

That night, I only made it through the first 2 inches of ribbing and was disheartened. This thing was going to take forever and I was never going to get it done. I sat it to the side, and figured I'd pick it back up sometime next to never.

Tuesday, though, I figured that I should at least get through the first chart repeat for the lace section just to make sure that I liked it. And that went super fast, much to my amazement.

Apparently, if you add some yarn overs and decreases to any project, I start burning through it. I took it with me Wednesday and Thursday to the various doctor appointments that I've been going to with my grandma. (She's okay. Just needs some minor knee surgery). I've been working on it non-stop. As of right now, I have nearly 16 inches of it done.

All in 3 (4 if you count all the prep work) measly days.


Which brings me to my challenge. Jamie is due up here next Thursday. We plan on going on a date Saturday. You see where this is going?

Yep, I'm trying my damndest to get this done before they get up here. And, by all the wooly gods, I think I can do it.

Which means that I should probably stop typing this and actually get some of it done today.

So, I'm going to end this as hastily and awkwardly as I can. Because that's what I do.

Be back in a few days to check in, assuming that my fingers haven't fallen off.

No comments:

Post a Comment