Monday, October 10, 2016

Three Times a Knitter

If my facebook memories are any indication, it was roughly about this time three years ago that I started down the path of my addiction...*ahem*...enthusiasm for knitting. I had been crocheting for roughly a year before that.

My very first finished project was a mug cozy that I don't even have a completed picture of. It was messy and my stitches were all twisted. The yarn overs in the lace (what? you expected me to start with something plain?) were practically non-existent. I improvised the button hole because the instructions made no sense to me. But I finished it, damnit.

I *do* have a picture of my second project, a simple phone case.


Three years is a long time. Yet it's also no time at all.

I've come very far with my skills, but I see people who have been knitting for decades and can't help but feel like my own skills are vastly inferior.

But I also am feeling a little proud. This year alone, I've accomplished two of my biggest knitting challenges. I completed Celestarium and learned how to knit socks.

Which I'm wearing for the first time today because it's finally cold enough to need them.


I've also improved my knitting speed, which means that I was able to make more things for more people. Knitwear that I've made with my own two hands is adorning my loved ones. I guess that's something else to be proud of.

I also feel like I've become an accomplished lace knitter. Especially when it comes to beaded projects. I feel comfortable taking on almost any project with tiny, thin yarn and lots of charts.


Funkia is still my pride and joy, another huge accomplishment for me. I love showing it off, if that's not too selfish of me to say.

I do still have a lot of room for improvement. I haven't knit a sweater or a blanket. Or really tackled a lot of colorwork. And poor John is still waiting on his socks. But I'm quite optimistic that, just like my lace skills, I'll soon add these to my repertoire.

Then I'll become an unstoppable force of needles and wool. Heaven help you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment