Sunday, September 29, 2019

Sweet Rewards

You know what makes bee keeping worth it?

Besides, y'know, getting to hang out with a few hundred thousand cute friends?


This, my friends. This.

Yep, we finally got to actually take some honey out of the hives.


As you can see by my face here, I'm pretty dang excited.


And even though I got my first sting while working in the hives, I had so much dang fun doing this.


Processing the honey after was just as fun, too. Seriously. It doesn't look like it, but I was just ecstatic.


So, to release the honey from the frames, first you cut it out.


Kevin did that while I took the chunks of honey comb and started crushing them up into a filter on top of a bucket.


Which filled up quickly.


The honey all drains down to the bottom, all ready for bottling.


It was fascinating seeing the difference between older comb and newer.

This was older, tougher comb. It was harder to crush and left larger chunks in the filter. And as you can see it's darker than the new comb.


The newer comb broke as soon as you picked it up, spilling honey just everywhere.


The honey was also so warm! It's not something you really think about, right?

That warmth meant that it flowed easier, too, making our job easier. It also meant that the smell of honey was super pungent. It was incredible.

I snagged this bit of comb for myself to tide me over until I can secure some bottles of liquid gold.


And I don't care what anyone tells you.

I DEFINITELY haven't been taking the lid off just to give it a good huff every once in a while...

Nope. Not at all...

---------------------------------------------------------
Like my writing? You can help support me and future writing projects directly by donating through the links below!

Ko-fi link: ko-fi.com/blackgoatknitting

Paypal: https://www.paypal.me/blackgoatknitting

No comments:

Post a Comment