Monday, September 30, 2019

Accomplish-Knit

Clear back at the end of May, I finally worked up the courage to try my very first sweater after seeing Jacqueline Cieslak's Ursa Minor pattern.

Bulky weight yarn? V-neck? Size inclusive?

I was sold.

I even had yarn in my stash I could use.

So, I dove right in and got to work.

And promptly realized that I could only work on it for short bursts of time because size 10.5 needles apparently make my hands angry.

So it took me a *little* longer than I meant to finish it.

But I DID finish it.

On my birthday, no less.

Alas, we had to wait until it wasn't 90 BLOODY DEGREES outside before we could take pictures.

But guess what?


We managed to do that, too.

But as you're admiring my lovely new addition to my wardrobe, I need to bring up an important point dealing with taking pictures of sweaters...


WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO WITH YOUR HANDS?!?!?!?!!

We tried out a few different prop options...




Before ultimately deciding to go with a copy of The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes from my library.


So, let's talk about the sweater itself.

I used KnitPick's Wool of the Andes bulky weight in spruce. I think I used just under 6 skeins? I haven't weighed my leftovers yet.


Because it's me, I decided to add lace to the bottom hem and sleeves. 

I also picked up extra stitches under the arm (12 as opposed to the 3 I think the pattern called for) and didn't decrease at all. I'm not a fan of fitted sleeves and wanted a bit of a flare at the end.


The lace pattern is an adaptation of the fern lace pattern from 750 Knitting Stitches.


I went with 3/4 length sleeves because I couldn't decide between short sleeve and full length. 

I think I went with the right option.


I was so worried that it'd grow too much since I tend to knit loosely. But this sweater fits like an absolute dream. 

Now, if only we could get some ACTUAL FALL WEATHER for me to be able to wear it.


BONUS!

Enjoy a couple extra pictures of my second favorite prop.




---------------------------------------------------------
Like my writing? You can help support me and future writing projects directly by donating through the links below!

Ko-fi link: ko-fi.com/blackgoatknitting

Paypal: https://www.paypal.me/blackgoatknitting

No comments:

Post a Comment