Monday, August 22, 2016

Where the Streets are Paved with Gold and We Walk in Pretty Socks

As the Olympics drew to a close last night, so did our Ravellenic Games.

First off, thanks to everyone who competed under the Black Goat name. I appreciate all of you! Prize info will be dealt with in a couple of weeks. Gotta give me some time to get back in to the school routine!

As most of you saw, I did manage to get my shawl, Love Street, done yesterday. I blocked it last night and did the last little bit of finishing work this morning. The rain even held out and I managed to get a photo shoot in of it.


Made with Malabrigo Silkpaca in Damask, this beauty only took me a little over one skein to do. I think I started the second skein with only four rows and bind-off left.


There are beads throughout the whole body. I added extra to the edging, because who doesn't love more pretty shiny things? I'm so glad I chose to use a bead that would stand out rather than blending in.


And true to form, it came out nice and big. 72-inch wingspan and a 20 inch spine. Perfect for short little people like me!


But this one isn't for me. My dear Renee is the new owner of this lovely shawl. When showing her the yarn, she sat there and kept petting it, so I knew I just had to make her something with it.


As for my other project...


That's right. Got my first pair of socks done.


Yarn is Malabrigo Sock in colorway Turner, which is a lot more green than any photo has managed to capture. Vanilla-Latte pattern from ravelry.


They're far from perfect. Plenty of mistakes, but dang it, I did it. I challenged myself and learned something new. And they fit me. As a plus sized person, finding socks that actually fit is a nightmare. But now, I can make them to suit my needs.


Guess that means I need to go start another dozen pairs. Especially because I don't have anything interesting on my needles. I feel a debilitating case of start-itis coming on... 

Wooly gods help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment