Monday, April 24, 2017

A Tale of Two Shawls - Grey Skies

Yes, yes, I know that this is being posted a day late. My laptop cord decided that breaking in half was the perfect way to end my Saturday night. Hooray, technology!

Anyway, I must confess that this shawl was actually started in January after I had tossed Orchid Thief into time out. I needed something to sooth my frantic mind after The Evil One's relentless fuckery.

I was inspired by this raveler's Easy As Pie/Vlad mash-up. My favorite body lace pattern? Extra edgings? TASSELS?!?!!!? I was in love.

I had a ball of alpaca languishing in the bottom of my stash that was actually supposed to be used for an entirely different pattern. I had bought it at my very first Great Lakes Fiber Show and had just never gotten around to doing much more than balling it up.

I was trying to be good and just use stash yarn, but the idea of golden yellow tassels wouldn't get out of my head, so I grabbed a couple of skeins of Knit Pick's Alpaca Cloud Fingering in Daisy.

Being the giant dork that I am, this ended up being named Grey Skies because Easy as Pie's edging has always reminded me of lightning bolts. And the tassels look like the sun's rays trying to poke through the clouds.

Yep, giant dork.


This one was a pretty straightforward project. aside from some stitch fudging to get the Vlad edging to line up. Knitting 6 stitches together is so much fun.


I've made Easy As Pie before, so I was pretty familiar with the pattern.


I decided to add the accent stripe because that gold was too gorgeous to not use more of it.

Also, because I thought it tied the tassels in a little better with the overall design.

Oh yeah. The mother fucking tassels.


Biggest pains in the whole bloody world. I adore how they look, but Christ, do I hate making them.

In the end though, I can't really complain too much. This shawl is lovely, delightfully wonderful to wear, and I'm quite happy to add it to the collection.


1 comment:

  1. Knitting is really a great art. This type of creativity is really very nice and the way you present this, is also very good. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete