Sunday, May 7, 2017

A Gift Goes Two Ways

April's shawl, Labradorite Rainshine, is done and magnificent. And you're just going to have to wait for a proper photoshoot to see it. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

Immediately after finishing it, I felt the urge to go ahead and cast on May's shawl. And promptly finished it in 6 days.

Did I mention that I also designed the entire thing, including coming up with a completely original lace chart as well?

Blessed be my wooly patron, Henry. He must have pulled overtime to help me through that one.

But yes, she is done. And goes by the name Yarn Wife.

Specifically because I made it just for my Yarn Wife herself, my darling Mikayla.


I've talked a little about Mikayla on here before, but I really want to reiterate what an amazing person she is. She is, hands down, one of my closest and dearest friends. She's always there for me without fail and her very presence is soothing. She's as much of a nerd as I am and I could literally spend hours talking to her about anything. And like I said, she's my yarn wife. We've entangled ourselves in wooly goodness together and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We've started the tradition of going to the Great Lakes Fiber Show together every year. And when she told me that she didn't think she'd have enough time to make herself a shawl to wear to it, I had to step in. No wife of mine was going to be going to a wool gathering without something snazzy to wear.

This shawl actually started off as a different pattern that I found on Ravelry. But there were quite a few elements of it that I didn't like, so I started making modifications. And then that little voice in the back of my head started whispering at me, "JUST DESIGN THE WHOLE DAMN THING YOURSELF!!!"

So I did.

And it was nerve wracking. Especially doing the lace chart. I mean, that's some hardcore shit. But I got through it. And even more amazingly, it actually bloody worked.


Every part of the shawl has a specific meaning behind it representing a part of Mikayla and I's friendship.

And because of that, this pattern will never be made again. This is for her and her alone.


I was nervous as hell to give it to her. I mean, she's a fellow knitter. The thing had to be good. But also because she's such an important person in my life. I really wanted her to like it.

Well, not only did she like it, but she actually stopped breathing for a moment. Which is terrifying. But flattering. But really scary.

And I haven't even got to the best part of all this,

After I told Mikayla about the shawl for her, she completely floored me by revealing that SHE HAD BEEN SECRETLY WORKING ON A SHAWL FOR ME!!!


I am completely undeserving of such a wonderful woman and this amazing gift.

Doesn't make me any less excited to get it though.

So, uh, Mikayla... is it done yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment