Sunday, December 24, 2017

All the Promise

I HATE Christmas Day.

HATE it.

Can't stand it. Wish I never had to live through it.

This is probably a wee bit of a shock to most of you who know me.

I mean, my Christmas decorations usually go up before Thanksgiving. And they're up until at least March. 

I love giving and receiving all manner of hand made gifts, baked goods, and Christmas cards.

I'm all about the tinsel and fairy lights and the tree with all its glittering finery.

But I hate Christmas Day.

It's when the magic is over. The lights are turned off, the decorations are taken down. The stories are resolved. 

All the promise and magic and wonder... it's over.

Not to be seen for another whole year.

But Christmas Eve? 

Oh, Christmas Eve makes my heart sing.

Christmas Eve is the night of magic and mysterious machinations. The lights are all glowing, the presents wrapped and waiting. All the wonder and majesty one hopes for. 

For me, it's a time of love and gathering and fond memories of past Eve's at my dear grandparents. Food, laughter, joy. All the promise of hope and happiness in one magical night.

So, I wish you all the most magical and wonderful Christmas Eve. 

Eat the good food, open your presents, and surround yourself with those you love the most. 

Breathe your Christmas wish to the stars because tonight... well, tonight we all can believe that magic just might be real.




No comments:

Post a Comment