Thursday, September 1, 2016

Grazie Molto

This post honestly should have been written a month ago.

No, earlier than that.

It should have been written when I was a little child, and grandpa was just as involved with my care as my grandma.

It should have been written when I was a school age girl, and grandpa took me on a mini vacation every summer to museums and historical sites. Memories that still stick with me to this day.

It should have been written when I was a teenager, and grandpa made the effort to come to see me perform.

It should have been written when I was in college, and grandpa offered to help me with school, housing, whatever I needed to make sure I was taken care of.

It should have been written when I got married, and grandpa walked me down the aisle. And made me laugh the whole day, even though I was nervous.

It should have been written when he went down multiple times to the pharmacy to get me medicine. He wanted to make sure I was taking care of myself.

It should have been written after every time he has shown up to bail us out of some minor disaster.

It should have been written a month ago when he surprised us with four new tires for our car.

But I didn't write it then. I'm writing it today. As I've said before, we are not a family who express affection and appreciation as vocally as others.

But we do remember.

I remember that grandpa taught me to ride a bike, to drive, to love history.

I remember all of the stories he has shared with me about his family and what it was like when he grew up.

I remember all of the talks and wisdom he's imparted on me when we've been riding together or sitting around a campfire.

I know that he doesn't always understand my mental illnesses and how they effect me, but he still offers me the love and support I need. The same goes for Emily and Alex.

He doesn't judge John when he doesn't know how to fix something. He patiently teaches John, helping him to gain confidence in working with his hands.

Grandpa is as ornery as they come, but you're always guaranteed a laugh.

My grandparents are amazing, wonderful people. They care for a whole lot of us, even outside of our family. They know who all of my friends are and often ask how such and such is doing. And my friends all know that my grandparents' home is as welcoming to them as if they were one of the grandkids themselves.

I feel so truly lucky that I have them in my life.

So, thank you grandpa, for everything.

For everything I've listed here and the miles long list of all the stuff I haven't. Can't wait for our next campfire talk. I'll bring the s'mores.


No comments:

Post a Comment